Sunday, June 10, 2012

Get Out Of The Street!

Emmett and I took a walk the other day.  My parents live near an elementary school which had just let out.  A boy about 10 years old was riding his bike next to his little brother, I think.  From about a house away, I hear this boy yell to his brother "Kevin, get the $!#% out of the !*#$ street!"  Within a few seconds, we were passing them, and this rough kid stops, looks at Emmett and says to me, "Has he got PKU?"  I told him no, and asked how he knew about PKU.  He pointed to Emmett's NG/feeding tube said when he was a baby he had one of those 'cause he had PKU.  So then he asks me, "what does he have?"  When I answered "cancer," he replied with a very dramatic "Oooooooooh Myyyyyyyyyy Goooooooosh!" I wish you could hear his young voice, full of devastation for someone he didn't even know. He quickly said, "I'm going to pray for him.  What's his name?"  I told him "Emmett", then asked him his.  "Stephen," he replied.  I told him thank you very much and that his prayers would really help.  As he started riding off again, he called out "have a good life." 

I don't know why, but that little experience really made my day.  Emmett truly has people everywhere praying for him.  There's something about the bluntness of a child and the humbleness of their prayers that made me happy we met Stephen.  On the way back from this short walk, an old classmate of one of my sisters stopped her car and jumped out to say hi. She must have recognized us from the blog (and from the fact that we were right across from my parents house...plus there aren't many kids on the streets with feeding tubes these days).  Emmett's quite famous, it seems!  People everywhere are following his story and want to know how he's doing.  I am happy to say that the last three weeks have been uplifting ones for us, in a large part due to experiences like these.  We hope to have more fun experiences tumble out on the blog soon!

5 comments:

ellen said...

Thanks for sharing these stories.

DC said...

Definitely wishing more fun experiences your way!

Sara said...

:0)

Sara said...

:0)

Haley Hill said...

Just wanted to say hello and you guys are in our prayers. I don't think we have ever met, but I am Carrie's sister in law, married to Mark's little brother. I have been following your blog and really love to see your updates about Emmett and just wanted you guys to know we are praying for you and hoping for the best!