Last Monday intrathecal chemotherapy started (injected right into the brain 5 days/week). All went smoothly last week. But yesterday after they injected Emmett's brain with etoposide for the first time, he had a seizure. It was a pretty tramatic experience -- Emmett has never had a seizure before. It wasn't a very "big" seizure (localized to the right side of his face), and it only lasted about a minute, but he did lose consciousness and it made our hearts stop and set things in motion very quickly.
They admitted Emmett to the hospital for testing and observation. A quick look MRI revealed that his lesion has grown approximately 1 cm in the past two weeks from 16 mm to 25 mm. This increase in size (and associated swelling) is putting pressure on his left motor strip which controls the right side of his body. This explains why his seizure only affected the right side of his face.
The team had already tentatively scheduled surgery for Monday. But after reviewing this latest information they moved surgery up to Thursday. Emmett will remain in the hospital for observation until that time.
Emmett had another seizure last night, but soon thereafter the team started anti-seizure medications and he hasn't experience any more.
One bit of good news is that after Emmett's second CSF sample from last Tuesday came back "suspicious", subsequent samples on Friday and Monday came back "atypical" and "clear", and that is great news! Hopefully the IT chemo is doing it's job and cleaning up any loose cells floating around in Emmett's brain.
This week we will be praying and fasting for a few different blessings for Emmett.
- That everything goes smoothly with surgery on Thursday (i.e. doctors can get the tumor, and with no complications)
- That there are no lasting side effects
- That the team comes up with a good treatment plan moving forward
3 comments:
I can't imagine the anxiety you've been feeling the last couple of weeks. Thank you for giving us the specific things to be praying for. I'll be putting Emmett's name on the Bountiful Temple prayer roll as well. Lots of love and prayers coming your way!
I appreciate every single update even though I rarely comment. I just get the updates in my email. Keeping you all and especially Emmett in my prayers for these things you are all praying for.
Thank you Katy and Micah.
I will be fasting and praying too.
I love you all very much.
Post a Comment